Thank you in your interest in volunteering with World Cares Center. Following is a list of our current volunteer opportunities:
- Administrative Volunteers help keep World Cares Center running. Administrative duties could include but are not limited to editing and printing promotional materials, answering phones, lettering writing and mass mailings, updating of office documents, filing and database management. Administrative volunteers should have experience in Microsoft Office. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Marketing & Advertising Volunteers assist with the creation of marketing flyers, brochures, pamphlets and other materials for World Cares Center’s programs in order to provide information about the organization to our constituents and extended communities. In addition to developing marketing materials for special events and campaigns, Marketing & Advertising Volunteers modify existing materials to note progress made and be consistent with changing goals in the organization. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Information Technology (IT) Volunteers assist in the design and development of World Cares Center’s Information Sharing Portal – the ReadyResponders Network. Volunteers also will help maintain World Cares Center’s website and with other ongoing IT support. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Research Volunteers expand the organization’s capacity and compile information about current issues in disaster management. By compiling relevant demographic information about the communities we serve, making relationship-building phone calls, and updating program-related materials with relevant information, Research Volunteers contribute to the sustainability of the organization. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Social Media Volunteers assist with the implementation of the social media strategy of our organization and build the organization’s online presence. Through the use of social media platforms, Social Media Volunteers learn about new, emerging trends in the field of emergency preparedness/disaster relief, and contribute to the organizations ability to collaborate with partners, enabling us to better serve the local and national communities. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Grant Writing Volunteers: For more information, Contact us or call 212-563-7570 ext. 203 - work with the Grant Writer and the Executive Director to navigate the landscape of the philanthropic sector by identifying new foundation, corporate, and government grant prospects for emergency preparedness/disaster relief funding. Grant Writing Volunteers assist with drafting letters of intention and narrative grant sections, in addition to compiling and mailing grant proposal pieces per guidelines. Hours will vary between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Grassroots Readiness & Response Community Trainers: For more information, Contact us or call 212-563-7570 ext. 205 - lead community members through all the steps of preparedness – individual, family, workplace, school and community, to create a comprehensive plan that is meaningful and meets the needs of the individual. As a community trainer your main responsibility would be to facilitate World Cares Center’s Grassroots Readiness and Response training program in the greater New York City metropolitan area. Our workshop participants include youth, seniors, and adults. If you have teaching or training experience, are bi-lingual or prefer to work with one particular group please be specific in your application. Hours will vary but will include nights and some weekends.
- Leading & Managing Advanced Facilitators: For more information, Contact us or call 212-563-7570 ext. 202 - lead emergency, volunteer and risk managers through World Cares Center’s Leading and Management Spontaneous Unaffiliated Community Volunteers: Force Multipliers in Disaster Response Workshop. Advance facilitators have more than 5 years experience in disaster response and relief, public safety and security, firefighting, emergency management, volunteer management, risk management. A very interactive workshop with activities and exercises, Leading & Managing allows facilitators to share their experiences in the field as it relates to the materials and the issues raised by workshop participants. Hours will vary but may include some days, nights and weekends depending on workshop schedule.
- Volunteer Reception Center Volunteers: For more information, Contact us or call 212-563-7570 ext. 202 - role-play as community members who are spontaneously responding to an emergency situation, assume various character roles and are interviewed by Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) members. The goal of the drill is to give the CERT members an opportunity to practice spontaneous volunteer screening skills that they have previous learned through World Cares Center's trainings, in order to safely and effectively respond in an emergency.
Special Events: For more information, Contact us or call 212-563-7570 ext. 206
- Iron Skillet Volunteers assist with World Cares Center’s annual fundraiser. Held every year since 2002, the Iron Skillet Cook Off is New York’s hottest culinary competition between New York City’s firefighters and top celebrity chefs in which they match their talents in a fiery contest for top honors. We are looking for energetic volunteers to help us make this event a huge success. Volunteer roles include: Promotional Material Editor, Promotional Material Graphics Designer, In-Kind Donations Team Member, Sponsorship Recruiter, and Event Day Volunteers (greeter, guest and press check-in, donation management, event breakdown, and gift bag distribution). Hours vary Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm but also may include nights and weekends, particularly the night of the event.
- Friend-raiser/Fundraiser Volunteers provide support to WCC staff during awareness events. WCC Friend-raisers/fundraisers highlight the importance of our programs and initiatives, and allow members of the WCC community to network. Volunteer roles for such events include: coat check, greeter, guest check-in, donation management, and event breakdown. Hours vary according to the needs of each event.
- 9/11 Reunion Volunteers WCC will commemorate New York City’s extensive relief efforts with our 9/11 Reunion, a celebration that will take place on September 8th. The unmistakable sense of community that grew out of this tragedy continues to define the lives of people throughout the five boroughs and beyond, and this evening will provide an ideal forum for us to remember all of the inspirational individuals that worked to bring us together. A few roles for the event include: greeter, guest and press check-in, donation management, event breakdown, and gift bag distribution. Hours will depend on the needs of the event.
Please Note World Cares Center trains community members pre-disaster to effectively care for themselves and their neighbors as well as how to effectively offer their services to emergency responders to fill surge capacity needs. We do not “deploy” volunteers in times of need, but would be happy to connect you with our partner organizations.